Essential Oil for Cold Sore – Why Is It Better Than Other Treatment Options ?
Egyptians are believed to be the very first users of essential oils, but we in United States were busy trying antibiotics to solve our problems when the wiser people used aromatherapy and other forms of essential oils. Essential oils were not used in the United States, in fact, most of us were not aware of their medicinal uses, and those who knew a bit about them were too much skeptical. It was back in 1980’s when essential oils entered the cosmetics, beauty and pharmaceutical industries when people started developing trust on them. In this decade, when essential oils reached everywhere, we also started researching on the uses and benefits of them. And today essential oils are inseparable part of all the natural treatments and herpes treatment also is no exception.
Essential oils are being used in almost every corner of the world to treat cold sores, the most annoying symptoms of herpes. We have a variety of essential oils and each one has its own set of properties and therapeutic value. In general if we talk about the treatment of cold sores, we can use not one or two but many essential oils for cold sores treatment and all of them will heal the sores via different healing mechanisms.
Although we cannot trace back the year in which essential oils were known to be used for medicinal purposes after being used for religious ceremonies for centuries, one thing is sure that the discovery of essential oils’ healing properties was an accident. Yes, the first ever documented medicinal essential oil is lavender oil. A French chemist accidentally burnt his hand while working in the laboratory and since no topical ointment was available, he applied lavender oil on the burn. What followed next was unbelievable, but we should be glad that it happened. The scientist got immediate relief in the burning sensation and noticed that the wound also healed really fast.
Although he was not at all interested in the study of natural healing capabilities, but he surely was exploring the essential oils, and the results were seen at an unpredictable time but also were surprisingly unbelievable. Since then, lavender oil and all other essential oils are being extensively used for taking care of health and body of humans. Essential oils have a completely different branch of medical science, we call it aromatherapy, and many people swear on its effectiveness. Well, considering so many people using aromatherapy, and also reviewing the reviews from those people, it is not difficult to digest the fact that anyone can use essential oils for cold sores.
Can Essential Oils for Cold Sores Prevent Their Occurrence?
We will talk about the physical healing of essential oils for cold sores, but there is one more aspect of the infection that is often not talked about. The emotional roller coaster ride that every herpes patient goes through is not dealt with any medicine or science. When we use essential oils for cold sores, we do not follow the exact procedure of aromatherapy all of the times, but these oils are so much concentrated that the fragrance is too strong to be avoided. And not only the essential oils, but their fragrance has been proved to create magic in the minds of herpes patients.
The aroma of essential oils bring peace and stability to the minds of herpes patients and the value of this stillness can be understood by a herpes patient who has spent sleepless nights because of anxiousness and stress. Stress has a prominent role to determine the behavior of a person and not only it has impact on the mood, but stress regulates the herpes outbreaks cycles as well. Yes, you might be surprised to know this, but stress, anxious behavior, tension, and anger, all have direct relation to herpes outbreak. We might think that herpes outbreak can hit us anytime and it is a sudden act, but it is not.
There are so many things that are going on in our body as well as mind that together decide the date of your next outbreak. Yes, I admit that you cannot exactly determine the time of next herpes outbreak by any equation, but one can always observe a trend. If you are more stressed, if you eat less, if you sleep less, and if you do not take care of your health properly, be ready to become a herpes patient who will have to see the cold sores almost every month. On the other hand, if you have a balanced diet, have a stable mind with strong immunity, herpes virus can enter into your body, but it may take it lifetime to become active.
In this case, you will not suffer from herpes symptoms even if the herpes virus is present in your body 24 * 7. Stress can create such a huge difference and essential oils can bring a lot of ease to your mind by elevating stress. They are excellent relaxants and have the easy reach to your brain. So, we can say that essential oils can actually act as a preventative cure for herpes.
But there is another bitter truth- herpes cannot be prevented 100%. You can only control the activation of herpes simplex virus up to certain extent, but it is next to impossible to have everything in line because of so many parameters. In this case also essential oils for cold sores can relieve you from stress, and hence kills the major trigger of herpes outbreaks, but some other aspects may rule thee health and produce herpes outbreaks as outcome. So, you will need these essential oils for cold sores in such a situation.
Which Essential Oils for Cold Sores Treatment Are the Best?
This is the comprehensive list of all the essential oils for cold sores, and with each one, we have also given the best possible way to use that particular oil to treat herpes cold sores.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is the best ever essential oil, be it the use in treating cold sores, or treating any other skin ailment. It has all the medicinal and healing therapeutic properties which make it the perfect essential oil for cold sores. And its uses are not limited to the skin infections, but after diluting, tea tree oil is also taken orally to fight several internal infections. It is a very powerful antiseptic, and helps in preventing the development of secondary infection in the cold sores.
How to use tea tree oil
- Make sure the first thing you do is not to apply the tea tree oil directly. First of all wash you hands to clean them with soap and water.
- Use a piece of cotton to dry them out thoroughly, this is necessary to keep the infection restricted to the cold sores only and not to let it move to other places.
- Take another cotton swab and drip a few drops of the magical oil from the bottle on the cotton.
- Gently apply the tea tree essential oil for cold sores.
We all use olive oil for day to day cooking. In fact, those who are really serious about their health must be having a bottle of the health boosting oil ready in their kitchen. Till recent past, olive oil was not much used, but these days, everyone is singing the tune of this amazingly healthy oil. There have been several reports in recent past suggesting that use of olive oil for herpes can help you get rid of the embarrassing infection. This has turned almost all the heads towards this previously not so much used oil because almost every one in the United States is either worried about cold sores or is already struggling from the infection.
How to use olive oil for cold sores
- Apply olive oil on the skin affected by cold sores. As it is eatable oil, you can use it in case of mouth herpes, eye herpes, and even on the gums. You don’t have to worry about the side effects when some amount of oil enters into your food pipe.
- If you have fresh olive oil, make it a part of salad, and in case the olive oil bottle is relatively old, make sure you use it for cooking purposes only. You can do this regardless of the fact that you are having herpes outbreaks or not.
- In case you have herpes outbreak at present and want to treat it with olive oil, you may need to take it in supplement form. Take three to four mg tablets in every six hours before or between the meal times. The recommended dosage is one tablet in every six hours but some acute and intense cases of herpes requires heavier doses sometimes.
Almost 250 years ago this oil was discovered. At that time, who knew it would become such a big commercial success. Eucalyptus generally grows in marshy areas, and is known to be the fastest growing tree. Eucalyptus oil was first distilled from the leaves of the tree back in 1788. Eucalyptus oil is an excellent anti inflammatory agent that makes it a potential solution for the pain, itching and other skin issues in herpes. Due to a strong germicidal effect, when nothing can kill a virus, eucalyptus oil can do much damage to it.
How to use eucalyptus oil in herpes
- One of the simplest ways to use this essential oil for cold sores is to apply eucalyptus oil on the cold sores directly.
- You can just apply a drop of eucalyptus oil with the help of dropper or a cotton swab on the cold sore.
- If you wish, you can also mix the eucalyptus oil with equal amount of some other oil like peppermint oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, lavender oil or chamomile oil depending upon the availability.
Peppermint oil is famous for the amazing medicinal benefits it has to offer. Peppermint oil contains numerous minerals and essential nutrients like iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium and calcium. Apart from these, vitamin A and vitamin C are the other constituents of peppermint oil. Peppermint oil for genital herpes treatment is preferred by many herpes patients because it gives the soothing and cooling sensation to the skin that is itching and burning due to the cold sores.
How to use peppermint oil
- Take peppermint oil of best quality and store it in a cool and dark place.
- Whenever you see the cold sores appearing on your skin, grab the bottle and take out a few drops of the essential oil for cold sores treatment.
- Apply it on the cold sores directly and let it stay for about half an hour.
- If you wish to, you can remove it with water, otherwise let it do the work and it will be gone when you have bath in the morning.
Precautions to be Taken While Using Any Essential Oil for Cold Sores
- All of the essential oils for cold sores treatment are highly concentrated and hence you should make sure that you are not allergic to any of them.
- Check by applying a small amount of oil on small portion of your skin and wait for a few minutes to see the results.
- If you are not allergic, you can use that particular essential oil for cold sores treatment. In case you develop itching or redness on the area you have applied the oil, it indicates that you are allergic to that particular oil and you can try any of the other essential oils for cold sores.
Some of the best essential oils for cold sores treatment are described above and you can use any of them without hesitation. In almost all the cases followed, essential oils for cold sores treatment have given results better than the expectations. The best part of using essential oils for cold sores is that these oils are natural, and hence you can use them for a long time without worrying about any side effect on your skin. After all it is a matter of your skin, the organ that determines the way you look, and same body part which also adds confidence to your personality. If you do not want to see scars on that confidence, choose any of the above stated essential oils for cold sores.