The question – weather to go for natural remedies for herpes or the antivirals that docs generally prescribe you has been troubling herpes sufferers for a long time. We, in this article will try to solve that natural herpes remedies vs antiviral confusion for you guys.
Herpes is an acute infection caused by Herpes simplex virus. It is one of the most common sexually transmitted disease. Herpes simplex viruses are DNA viruses that cause acute skin infections and present as grouped vesicles on an Erythematous base. The rate of prescription and consumption of antibiotics is increasing even more than the rate with which herpes transmission is. But with this trend, there is one more evolving way to treat Herpes, and that is natural remedies for herpes.
No doubt Herpes is a very difficult to tackle situation. It causes discomfort, severe infections, and sometimes other complications too. This virus affects the genitals, the cervix, as well as the skin in other parts of the body. Herpes is a chronic condition that may lead to genital ulcers sometimes. But that does not necessitate the extensive use of medication and harm your body internally under the pretext of dealing with the disease. There are many other methods other than antivirals that are as effective as antivirals, and sometimes even more efficient in terms of results.
Blessing your body with natural products is always a better choice, be it choosing natural food or beauty products or even something more serious like treatment of highly contagious disease. It is not only good in terms of effectiveness, but also provides long term benefits for your healthy body. This is the reason why everybody is nowadays in favor of natural herpes cure. That is why natural remedies for herpes are becoming so much sought after.
All of us in the US live in a very common disbelief that antibiotic are harmless. This is the most insidious myth. It leads to over-prescribing and blinds physicians and the public to the dangers of antibiotics. Meanwhile, safer methods of avoiding and treating infections are ignored on the premise that antibiotics will take care of everything.
Generally prescribed antiviral herpes medications approved by FDA are
- Acyclovir: Oldest antiviral medicine available since 1982. Acyclovir is an antiviral drug. It is used to treat certain type of viruses. Most commonly prescribed medicine in herpes outbreak is acyclovir only. It greatly reduces the frequency of outbreaks and is also helpful in treating the cold sores.
- Valacyclovir: A newer version that efficiently delivers acyclovir into human body. Valtrex, also known as valacyclovir, is an antiviral medication used to treat infections with herpes zoster (shingles), herpes simplex genitalis (genital herpes), and herpes labialis (cold sores). Valtrex is available in generic form. It is taken as caplets that may be taken with or without food.
- Famciclovir: It stops HSV from replicating inside the human body.
Acyclovir being the oldest has a larger number of side effects. Starting from nausea, it may cause vomiting, diarrhea and headache. And wait, it is not going to stop here, you may also feel agitation, confusion, rashes, anemia, and muscle pain, hypersensitivity reactions, seizures, agitation, and hepatitis.
Valtrex, also called Valacyclovir, is the most common name on the doctor’s prescription list if you go for treatment of herpes. Side effects of Valtrex may include headache, dizziness, tired feeling, depression, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, joint pain, menstrual pain, skin rash, stuffy nose, or sore throat and the list is still not complete.The list of problems with antibiotics is quite long. Some are common and well known. Others are subtle, but no less important.
A 2008 study of 3,000,000 people divided the participants into groups that had taken no antibiotics for the past two years, those that had taken 2-5 prescriptions and those that had taken six or more prescriptions in the same time period. Participants were tracked for six years afterwards. Those who had taken 2-5 antibiotic prescriptions had a 27% increase in cancers compared to those who took none. Those who took six or more prescriptions had a 37% increase in cancers. This was a carefully done study on a large group of people and published in a very reputable journal.
Almost all of the medications available for treating herpes have been geared towards handling outbreaks and trying to maximize the amount of time between them. There are a lot of side effects that are delivered to your body automatically along with relieving of pain. Some of these are:
- Skin rashes
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Menstrual pain
- Joint pain
- Stomach pain
- Lack of appetite
- Trouble concentrating or sleeping
The side effects are sufficient enough to make you believe that you should go for a natural cure. The medicine is not suitable for long term use due to the side effects it offers along with the benefits. Many herbal and dietary supplement products claim to help fight herpes infection by boosting the immune system. Some are capsules taken by mouth. Others come in the form of ointment that is applied to the skin.
Remedial measures can be taken for dealing with herpes and avoiding the painful outbreaks. Described below are some of the natural ways of treating the disease:
- Olive Oil: Apply heated olive oil, some lavender oil and bee wax mixed in it to the infected area.
- Licorice Roots: Licorice roots consist of therapeutic properties, which are helpful for the treatment of herpes infection. Licorice has glycyrrhizic acid, which fights against the herpes virus. For the treatment of herpes, the extracts of licorice roots can be effective.
- Echinacea: Any part of this medicinal plant consumed as tea, juice or pills can heal herpes.
- Wear Breathable Clothing: One of the most important things to do first when suffering from herpes is to wear cotton and loose fitting clothes.
- Lemon Balm: It has flavonoids, phenolic acid, and rosmarinic acid, which helps in healing the sores or blisters. Prepare a lemon balm tea. Let it steep for some time. Then, soak a cotton ball in it and apply directly on the sores.
- Ice Pack: Ice pack can give you instant relief if applied for adequate amount of time.
- Oregano Oil: Oregano oil, with its anti-viral properties, helps in the speedy recovery of herpes blisters. You just need to apply some oregano oil directly on the infected area.
- Tea tree oil: To heal the herpes sores outbreak, tea tree oil is a useful remedy. Take some water in a glass. Add few drops of tea tree oil and gargle to remove ulcers from mouth. For genital herpes, use an eye-dropper to put drops on the infected area.
- Baking Soda: Apply cotton dipped in baking soda to the infected area to relieve pain.
- Tea Bags: After cooling, apply the tea bag on the infected area. Leave it for 5 minutes on the sores.
- Using Condoms: If you intend to have sex during an outbreak, make sure you wear latex or vinyl condoms to protect your partner from getting infected.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe vera is the best remedy for herpes with its natural healing properties.
- Soap and Warm Water: Soaking the herpes sore in warm water surely relieves the pain and itching. To keep the affected area infection-free and clean, use soap.
- Herbal Tea and black coffee: Herbal tea is an effective solution for avoiding any type of skin diseases. For treating pain and itching arising due to herpes black coffee sip can also be an alternative.
- Lysine: One of the other natural remedies for herpes is lysine. It is a kind of amino acids that is found in foods, including milk, brewer’s yeast, cheeses, chicken, etc. It is known for reducing herpes outbreak.
- Manuka Honey: Manuka honey has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It helps in quick healing of herpes blisters and cold sores. You just need to apply some manuka honey directly on the infected area.
- Domeboro Powder: Domeboro powder can be used for healing the herpes infection. It can be used on the sores in the form of compress or wet dressing. The powder helps in soothing the irritated and itchy skin.
- Natural Oils: Natural oils are effective in relieving the herpes ache and itching. Olive, jojoba, tea tree, vitamin E, camellia, and calendula oils are known for fighting against the virus. You just need to apply any of the natural oil or mixture of some oils on the infected area, gently. This will heal the infected skin.
- Goldenseal: Goldenseal is another natural treatment for herpes. Take some walnut hull powder and add Echinacea and goldenseal in it. Stir it well to make a paste. Apply the paste on the infected area. Goldenseal is also available in pills, tincture, salve, and bulk powder.
- Cornstarch: To dry the herpes sores, apply some cornstarch directly on the infected area.
As far as Antivirals are considered, we cannot see them as a complete healing source. No antiviral addresses the psychological aspects of the disease which contributes to half of the pain and sufferings caused by the same.
A person may experience a variance of emotions, ranging from disbelieve to anger. This may be especially true for those diagnosed with genital herpes. Feelings of disbelief may morph into feelings of anger or resentment aimed toward the person that may have infected them. The carrier may then experience sadness and confusion, as well as shame and embarrassment, as the notion of being infected is finally accepted. There is no antiviral that can in any way go even close to addressing these problems.
Antivirals do not aid the immune system.
They replace one of its functions. Antibiotics act by inhibiting certain enzymatic processes of bacteria, and by changing mineral balances. Normal cells, however, are also affected. This may be one reason why antibiotics weaken the immune response.
While the cost of a single antibiotic prescription may not be extremely high, newer ones are somewhat costly. The costs are high when the side effects are considered, along with the sheer numbers of prescriptions that are written around the world each day, month and year.
If we talk about the cost effectiveness, millions of dollars are spent every year on just pampering the symptoms of the widespread disease, Herpes. Natural herpes cure like honey and most of the others are easily available free of cost and sometimes at negligible price.
Many of us are not aware about the effect of natural home products that we use daily for some or the other purpose in kitchen in relieving Herpes symptoms. You don’t have to rush to the doctor each time of travel to the store in a hurry whenever you have outbreak. You can use the products that are available every time at you home. Easy accessibility is also one major point where natural remedies are advantageous over antivirals.
Your body is best tuned up with natural products. All antiviral treatments come packed with the side effects associated with them. But natural remedies, being 100% natural are completely free of any side effects. That means you don’t have to be worried about the dizziness, tired feeling, depression, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, joint pain, menstrual pain, skin rash, stuffy nose and all other possible outcomes of any other method.
Too many doctor visits and prescriptions for antibiotics add up to a major expense. The reason is that medical doctors are not taught to use natural remedies for herpes infections. It is that simple. As a result, most medical doctors are ignorant about the alternatives to the use of antibiotics. Using natural remedies for herpes not only heals the symptoms faster but also costs your body fewer side effects even when used repeatedly. This is the reason why people are shifting to natural herpes cure rather than continuing with the same ineffective and ever continuing medications.
Doctors are very quick to prescribe medication. After all, it’s what they’re trained to do and have been doing for centuries. It’s true; some prescription medications do a great job of eliminating the itching, burning, and unsightly rashes that come from a herpes outbreak. But they not only cost more than a few dollars regularly, but also come tightly coupled with bundle of probable side effects. And for these reasons, going natural is the new way of dealing with Herpes effectively and instantly.