Herpes can be controlled and to a good extent cured provided we do what it takes to do it. Sometimes problems like herpes aggravate into suffering because of our lack of knowledge and more importantly lack of intent to get access to correct information. Specially in today’s time, when there are so much sources of information available, it becomes difficult to collect right kind of knowledge. Therefore, it is essential that we look at things with strong perspective and mindset. Today we will tell you some simple tips about how to get rid of herpes disease.
Here is a list of some simple tips that are absolutely necessary to deal with sudden herpes outbreak. These not only help in relieving pain and itching during an outbreak, but also prevent the infection from spreading further & help you to get rid of herpes.
Live a healthy and clear lifestyle:
Living a healthy and disciplined lifestyle always have positive effects. But when you know that you are already suffering from a lifelong disease it becomes even more important to take special note on these practices. Right from your old unhealthy habits to you food temptations, incorporate changes in your life to minimize the frequency of outbreaks and intensity with which it can affect your body. Take vitamin B supplements, sort out any work or relationship issues and modify your habits or lifestyle to avoid stressful situations. Regular exercise and a healthy diet can also reduce stress dramatically. So these are helpful both directly and indirectly in dealing with the virus.
Use latex Condoms and wear breathable cloths:
One of the most important things to do first when suffering from herpes is to wear cotton and loose fitting clothes. It is important to let your body breath. This will allow the air to easily circulate and will keep moisture and sweat away from the herpes infected area. If you suffer from genital herpes, avoid wearing synthetic or silk underwear and only go for cotton underwear or some other type of natural fiber underwear and loose-fitting clothing. Totally stay away from tight fitted cloths as they increases rashes and worsen the condition. If you intend to have sex during an outbreak, make sure you wear latex or vinyl condoms, to protect your partner from getting infected.
Use oils wisely:
Oil is of great help when it comes to giving relief in pain and itching during outbreaks. Natural oils are effective in relieving the herpes ache and itching. Olive, jojoba, tea tree, vitamin E, camellia, and calendula oils are known for fighting against the virus. You just need to apply any of the natural oil or mixture of some oils on the infected area, gently. This will heal the infected skin. It also has a property to accelerate the healing process and prevent the infection from spreading at other places. But the question is which type of oil one can use? Here is the list some oil and extracts that have properties and chemical composition best suited to be a cure of herpes.
- Coconut oil: Monolaurin consists of glycerol and lauric acid, which together make up coconut oil. Coconut oil is known to have anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. Cooking with it and drinking coconut water increases the immune support. Apply oil directly to sores it will clear them up very quickly.
- Olive oil: Easy to get and fast in effect. Olive oil is known for moisturizing the skin. It is rich in anti-oxidants and is one of the best home remedies for herpes sores. Take one cup of olive oil. Heat it in a pot and add some lavender oil and bee wax in it. Let the mixture cool down. After cooling, apply the mixture on the infected area. Olive oil is not only good for other health purposes but it is a lesser known fact that it delivers a much better relief in herpes outbreak. It can be applied alone and can also be mixed with other products to enhance effect.
- Oregano oil and tea tree oil: Oregano oil, with its anti-viral properties, helps in the speedy recovery of herpes blisters. You just need to apply some oregano oil directly on the infected area. To heal the herpes sores outbreak, tea tree oil is a useful remedy. Take some water in a glass. Add few drops of tea tree oil and gargle to remove ulcers from mouth. For genital herpes, use an eye-dropper to put drops on the infected area.
Keep it clean and infection free:
Frequently wash your hands, especially under the fingernails, throughout the Keep your lesions clean and dry. You may want to sprinkle some cornstarch in your cloths touching the sores to help the area stay dry. This may seem like the obvious, but during an outbreak keeping the area of infection clean is of utmost importance.
- Applying lemon balm to avoid infection: It has flavonoids, phenolic acid, and rosmarinic acid, which helps in healing the sores or blisters. Prepare a lemon balm tea. Let it steep for some time. Then, soak a cotton ball in it and apply directly on the sores.
- Echinacea: Echinacea is a medicinal plant and has anti-viral properties. It is known for enhancing the immune system. All parts of Echinacea plant, namely flowers, leaves, and roots can be used for healing herpes. It can be consumed in the form of tea, juices, or pills.
- Baking Soda or teabags: Apply cotton dipped in baking soda to the infected area to relieve pain. The other choice you have is after cooling; apply the tea bag on the infected area. Leave it for 5 minutes on the sores.
- Aloe Vera Gel or ice pack: Aloe vera is the best remedy for herpes with its natural healing properties. It is one of the most sought for natural herpes cure. Aloe vera gel cools your sore down and the other thing with the same effect is ice. Ice pack can give you instant relief if applied for adequate amount of time.
Frequent baths in warm water:
It is the simplest method and we often do it at home. Soaking in a bath of warm water can alleviate the pain associated with the sores brought on by a bout of genital herpes. Nothing is easily available than warm water at home and it is a tested fact that it is an instant pain reliever. Soaking the herpes sore in warm water surely relieves the pain and itching. To keep the affected area infection-free and clean, use soap. After all, keeping an area that’s covered with sores clean and free of infection is one step closer to healing the sores.
Try to keep the sores dry and fluid free:
It is important to keep the lesions fluid free as the fluid is main cause of spreading the infection at other places. Also the drier your sores are, faster they will heal and your skin will become normal. Here is a list of drying agents easily available at home.
- Domeboro and cornstarch Powder: Powders have long been used for their drying properties. To dry the herpes sores, apply some cornstarch directly on the infected area. Domeboro powder can also be used for healing the herpes infection. It can be used on the sores in the form of compress or wet dressing. The powder helps in soothing the irritated and itchy skin.
- Sage and Rhubarb cream: In one Swiss study, a topical cream made from sage (Salvia officinalis) and rhubarb was found to be as effective as Zovirax in healing cold sores. Sage by itself was not beneficial.
- Walnut hull powder: Goldenseal is another natural treatment for herpes. Take some walnut hull powder and add Echinacea and goldenseal in it. Stir it well to make a paste. Apply the paste on the infected area. Goldenseal is also available in pills, tincture, salve, and bulk powder.
Eliminate stress from your mind:
Stress is a major factor in causing any viral outbreak, and genital herpes is no exception. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, having an outbreak is a very stressful situation in itself! Stress suppresses the immune system of your body and hence stress management is the only way to suppress the dormant herpes virus. So try to avoid dwelling on the stressful implications of your outbreak. Make sure that you are completely relaxed and avoid stress completely to easily get rid of herpes. Also try as much as possible to avoid stress in day to day life.
Make use of honey to deal with cold sores:
By having a taste of what the antivirals costs us, its time to adopt some alternatives. One such alternative is honey. It is easily available and is claimed to give better outcomes than any of the antiviral medicine. We can compare the two in terms of relieving symptoms only, as none of them completely cure herpes. The best way to use this treatment is to first make sure that you have semi fluid, RAW honey, as it will work far better than regular processed honey. Manuka honey, a special type of honey found in New Zealand, however, offers additional healing benefits not found in other honeys; hence it is best suited for our purpose. Side effects of antiviral like local itching were overcome by using honey. Manuka honey has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It helps in quick healing of herpes blisters and cold sores. You just need to apply some manuka honey directly on the infected area.
A resin made by bees, propolis is loaded with antioxidants that help fight infection and boost the functionality of immune system. Test tube studies prove it well how it can stop HSV-1 and HSV-2 from reproducing. So, for genital herpes you can use it without a doubt.
Do not leave the sores untreated:
Many sufferers of genital herpes experience stress, anxiety and embarrassment as a result of suffering from this disease, and these feelings are exponential during the time of an outbreak. To ease swelling and pain in the genital area, use ice packs. Warm Epsom salts or baking soda baths help itching and pain. After the bath, pat dry gently and keep lesions dry. Apply Vitamin E and Vitamin A, alternately, directly on the sores.
Be extra careful during outbreak regarding your diet and routinely tasks. Do not consume citrus fruits and juices while the virus is active. Eat the following in moderation during outbreaks: almonds, barley, cashews, cereals (grains), chicken, chocolate, corn, dairy products, meat, nuts and seeds, oats, and peanuts. These contain L-arginine, an amino acid that suppresses L-lysine, the amino acid that slows virus growth. Try to avoid these completely during the infection period and even after that if possible.
Antivirals are the last option to go for:
The last option is to go for antivirals. This won’t cure your herpes or help to get rid of herpes but a quick fix option to prevent symptoms for some time. There are antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir, famciclovir and valacyclovir which are frequently used for herpes, but they can only reduce the symptoms and cannot cure herpes infection. The medicines decrease the severity and length of these outbreaks. They help the sores heal faster, keeps away new sores from forming, and decreases pain/itching. These medications may also help reduce how long pain remains after the sores heal. In addition, in people with a weakened immune system, these drugs can decrease the risk of the virus spreading to other parts of the body and causing serious infections.
Herpes is the most common sexually transmitted disease and the patient needs to understand that he/ she is not the only one to get caught. There is nothing abnormal having about having this infection. All sexually active members of the population are equally likely to get the disease, sometimes even after taking all the precautions.
So, do not blame your luck for that, it is just the ease with which the virus can be transmitted which is responsible for your body getting infected. You can easily get rid of herpes with all these products and by following these healthy and easy tips.