Considering herpes as an incurable disease with the help of antivirals, there is a shift towards curing it naturally. We overlook the useful remedies at home and rush to the medicine store urgently in case of a sudden outbreak or for any other reason. This is due to strict dependency on antivirals. But it is high time now to realize that these are not the only relieving agents and also they never come alone. Antivirals always have side effects, specially their prolonged use leads to complications. Let us have a look at what genital herpes home remedies we have with us.
For this reason it is always better to use some simple and harm free home remedies incase of genital herpes. In the next section all the remedies for herpes which we can use in case of herpes outbreak are listed. Oil is of great help when it comes to giving relief in pain and itching during outbreaks. It also has a property to accelerate the healing process and prevent the infection from spreading at other places. But the question is which type of oil one can use? Here is the list some oil and extracts that have properties and chemical composition best suited to be a cure of herpes.
- Coconut oil: Monolaurin consists of glycerol and lauric acid, which together make up coconut oil. Coconut oil is known to have anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. Cooking with it and drinking coconut water increases the immune support. Apply oil directly to sores it will clear them up very quickly.
- Olive oil: Easy to get and fast in effect. Olive oil is known for moisturizing the skin. It is rich in anti-oxidants and is one of the best home remedies for herpes sores. Take one cup of olive oil. Heat it in a pot and add some lavender oil and bee wax in it. Let the mixture cool down. After cooling, apply the mixture on the infected area. Olive oil is not only good for other health purposes but it is a lesser known fact that it delivers a much better relief in herpes outbreak. It can be applied alone and can also be mixed with other products to enhance effect.
- Oil extracted from licorice Roots: Licorice roots consist of therapeutic properties, which are helpful for the treatment of herpes infection. Licorice has glycyrrhizic acid, which fights against the herpes virus. For the treatment of herpes, the extracts of licorice roots can be effective.
- Oregano oil and tea tree oil: Oregano oil, with its anti-viral properties, helps in the speedy recovery of herpes blisters. You just need to apply some oregano oil directly on the infected area. Take some water in a glass. Add few drops of tea tree oil and gargle to remove ulcers from mouth. As genital herpes home remedies, use an eye-dropper to put drops on the infected area.
- Peppermint oil: In experiments, peppermint oil has stopped a number of viruses from reproducing, including herpes. However, it is not clear till now whether peppermint oil would have any effect on the herpes virus in humans.
- Other natural oils: Natural oils are effective in relieving the herpes ache and itching. Olive, jojoba, tea tree, vitamin E, camellia, and calendula oils are known for fighting against the virus. You just need to apply any of the natural oil or mixture of some oils on the infected area, gently. This will heal the infected skin.
Some Simple tips and tricks
- Taking bath in warm water: It is the simplest method and we often do it at home. Soaking in a bath of warm water can alleviate the pain associated with the sores brought on by a bout of genital herpes. Nothing is easily available than warm water at home and it is a tested fact that it is an instant pain reliever. Soaking the herpes sore in warm water surely relieves the pain and itching. To keep the affected area infection-free and clean, use soap. After all, keeping an area that’s covered with sores clean and free of infection is one step closer to healing the sores.
- Applying ice pack: Ice pack can give you instant relief if applied for adequate amount of time. Ice cubes can be sued to reduce the swelling or pain or the redness of the herpes. It can be applied every 3 to 4 hours to reduce the pain and redness of sores.
- Black coffee: Herpes virus infects not only genital parts, but also lips, mouth, etc. Black coffee is one of the best remedies to treat them. Blisters in the mouth cause severe pain. To treat them fast, you are required to prepare black coffee. Let it cool down and take a sip. Hold it in the mouth for some time. Move it onto the lips as well. For best results, repeat the process twice a day.
- Soap: Soaking the herpes sore in warm water relieves the pain. To keep the affected area infection-free and clean, use soap. After all, keeping an area that’s covered with sores clean and free of infection is one step closer to healing the sores.
- Use latex Condoms and wear breathable cloths: One of the most important things to do first when suffering from herpes is to wear cotton and loose fitting clothes. It is important to let your body breath. This will allow the air to easily circulate and will keep moisture and sweat away from the herpes infected area. If you suffer from genital herpes, one easy genital herpes home remedy for you is to avoid wearing synthetic or silk underwear and only go for cotton underwear or some other type of natural fiber underwear and loose-fitting clothing. Totally stay away from tight fitted cloths as they increases rashes and worsen the condition. If you intend to have sex during an outbreak, make sure you wear latex or vinyl condoms, to protect your partner from getting infected.
Using the bee products the right way
- Honey: By having a taste of what the antivirals costs us, its time to adopt some alternatives. One such alternative is honey. It is easily available and is claimed to give better outcomes than any of the antiviral medicine. We can compare the two in terms of relieving symptoms only, as none of them completely cure the disease. The best way to use this treatment is to first make sure that you have semi fluid, RAW honey, as it will work far better than regular processed honey.
- Resin made by bees: A resin made by bees, propolis is loaded with antioxidants that help fight infection and boost the functionality of immune system. Test tube studies prove it well how it can stop HSV-1 and HSV-2 from reproducing. So, as genital herpes home remedies you can use it without a doubt.
- Manuka honey: Manuka honey, a special type of honey found in New Zealand, however, offers additional healing benefits not found in other honeys; hence it is best suited for our purpose. Side effects of antiviral like local itching were overcome by using honey. Manuka honey has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It helps in quick healing of herpes blisters and cold sores. You just need to apply some manuka honey directly on the infected area.
Frequently wash your hands, especially under the fingernails, throughout the day. Keep your lesions clean and dry. You may want to sprinkle some cornstarch in your cloths touching the sores to help the area stay dry. This may seem like the obvious, but during an outbreak keeping the area of infection clean is of utmost importance.
- Domeboro and cornstarch Powder: Powders have long been used for their drying properties. To dry the herpes sores, apply some cornstarch directly on the infected area. Domeboro powder can also be used for healing the herpes infection. It can be used on the sores in the form of compress or wet dressing. The powder helps in soothing the irritated and itchy skin.
- Sage and Rhubarb cream: In one Swiss study, a topical cream made from sage (Salvia officinalis) and rhubarb was found to be as effective as Zovirax in healing cold sores. Sage by itself was not beneficial.
- Walnut hull powder: Goldenseal is another natural treatment for herpes. Take some walnut hull powder and add Echinacea and goldenseal in it. Stir it well to make a paste. Apply the paste on the infected area. Goldenseal is also available in pills, tincture, salve, and bulk powder.
Keeping it cool and infection free
- Applying lemon balm to avoid infection: It has flavonoids, phenolic acid, and rosmarinic acid, which helps in healing the sores or blisters. Prepare a lemon balm tea. Let it steep for some time. Then, soak a cotton ball in it and apply directly on the sores.
- Echinacea: Echinacea is a medicinal plant and has anti-viral properties. It is known for enhancing the immune system. All parts of Echinacea plant, namely flowers, leaves, and roots can be used for healing herpes. It can be consumed in the form of tea, juices, or pills.
- Baking Soda or teabags: Apply cotton dipped in baking soda to the infected area to relieve pain. The other choice you have is after cooling; apply the tea bag on the infected area. Leave it for 5 minutes on the sores.
- Aloe Vera Gel or ice pack: Aloe vera is the best remedy for herpes with its natural healing properties. Aloe vera gel cools your sore down and the other thing with the same effect is ice. Ice pack can give you instant relief if applied for adequate amount of time.
Whether you are infected or not, living a healthy and disciplined lifestyle always have positive effect. But when you know that you are already suffering from a lifelong disease it becomes even more important to take special note on these practices. Right from your old unhealthy habits to you food temptations, incorporate changes in your life to minimize the frequency of outbreaks and intensity with which it can affect your body.
Take vitamin B supplements, sort out any work or relationship issues and modify your habits or lifestyle to avoid stressful situations. Regular exercise and a healthy diet can also reduce stress dramatically. So these are helpful both directly and indirectly in dealing with the virus.
Make sure your diet includes all the nutrients the body needs to keep you going strong. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limit the amount of sugary and fatty foods and soft drinks you consume. Also cut back on caffeine and alcohol if you tend to overindulge in those. Drink a lot of water, L-lysine supplement may help reduce the healing time for cold sores as well as prevent future outbreaks. The recommended dose is usually about 1g per day.
Be extra careful during outbreak regarding your diet and routinely tasks. Do not consume citrus fruits and juices while the virus is active. Eat the following in moderation during outbreaks: almonds, barley, cashews, cereals (grains), chicken, chocolate, corn, dairy products, meat, nuts and seeds, oats, and peanuts.
The herpes virus is impossible to treat because it has a unique property of hiding into the nerve cells. This tendency makes it invisible to human immune system and hence it let it stay inside forever. This clearly means that it affects your immune system for entire lifetime. To give it a tough fight, all we can do is to make our immune system even stronger to bear its frequent attacks. This can even reduce its frequency of becoming active.